The Activist Entrepreneur Instructional eBook
Using Activist Entrepreneur principles to address challenges on the planet and to create meaningful jobs!
- Learn to create a Business with Aloha as an Activist Entrepreneur!
- Live Actively and Pleasurably through Conscious Capitalism!
- Creating a business embodying Community, Activist, Feminist, Environmental &/or EcoSexual principles!
- A community model for social entrepreneurs in the city or in the country!
Capitalism is supposed to be the embodiment of efficiency of which sustainability is a key component. Capitalism is not necessarily about destroying the Earth or exploiting workers with money as the only motive. When one engages with capitalism in a positive, sustainable way, a whole new picture of its potential emerges. Because sustainability is critical in the Positive Capitalism model, workers must needs be treated fairly and the environment demands protection of its own accord.
Traditionally young people rail against capitalism as exploitative. And all too often it is. Donald Trump embodies every stereotype of negative capitalism. From corruption, nepotism, bribery, slumlord, shady real estate deals, his list goes on.
Since Marx, young idealists and progressives have viewed the capitalist system with a focus on its very real faults. However, trade is the oldest of human enterprises and has great potential for good as well as corporate evil.
Young people often start political revolutions, often accompanied by a great deal of bloodshed in order to start fresh without the stain of capitalism. The Communist revolutions of China and Russia were against capitalism. The Islamic revolution in Iran wanted to replace decadent capitalism with theocracy. All had millions of idealistic youth doing a lot of killing and dying to create a 'perfect society'.
However, in the Age of the Internet with its limitless potential, the youth of today have an opportunity to change capitalism from within!
In a time of high youth unemployment, few opportunities, and student debt, young people would serve themselves and the world better by making money in ethical activist businesses aligned with their values. Then they can play the same role as the oil companies do now, except they will be lobbying for good causes!
The marijuana movement used business to slowly but surely change the laws regarding weed. They used capitalism to change the system from within the system! It took decades but now America, a conservative 'War Against Drugs' nation, has legal marijuana!
Every ethical business should have politics ingrained in the DNA of its company operations and Mission Statement. Businesses are meant to be around for a long time and it takes forever to change laws in a democratic system.
This is why corporations and democracy work so well together for good and bad causes. It is also why we don't want the Koch brothers, oil companies, chemical companies and Big Pharma doing all the lobbying because they are can afford it as 'the cost of doing business'!
Non-profits will never have the lobbying power of Big Pharma and their ilk! The key is to get good corporations in. Green corporations. Feminist corporations. Ethical Sex Positive corporations. Fundraising and lobbying events will be totally different!
There is already a Solar and Wind lobby because they are making money! There are young tech guys, the founders of Google, Apple, Paypal, Hotmail, Microsoft etc who have done some bad things but also supported very good causes. We need pragmatic feminist women founders!<
Evolution can create a revolution but it seldom works the other way around!
At Hedonisia, we work within the system on feminist, environmental and other socially progressive causes, both locally and internationally. We do this through creative activist entrepreneurship.
Through hard work and experimentation, we have developed a practical set of guidelines and ideas that have allowed us to continue to evolve and grow over the years and which can be applied to any ethical that 'wants to change the world'.
Activist Entrepreneur Principles
An Activist Entrepreneur embodies community, activism, feminism, and environmentalism as part of their business plan to create a product or service that, in a concrete way, improves society or the world we live in.
Many folks would like to start a business and work in alignment with their values. Hedonisia has developed a model of urban or rural community living that allows you to do just that!
Here is how we apply the Activist Entrepreneur model at Hedonisia Hawaii:
- Community: Hedonisia Hawaii is a community-based business that does not have employees. Our social entrepreneur business model attracts like-minded people creating a free-floating community of volunteers and interns who come to Hawaii and contribute to our eco-tourism and ecofeminist projects and that we manage in our 'community of individuals'!
- Activist: An activist entrepreneur works to change the law as part of their business activities. They can do so through lobbying or other forms of political engagement. However, they can also be political by creating products or services that challenge unjust laws. As Hedonisia, we are active in working through the local political system to create a legal foundation for sustainable communities in Hawaii and a precedent for others to do the same elsewhere. One of the creative projects we manage is Activist Entrepreneur: Using Using business as a tool for social change.
- Feminist: It is a truism that women are often more unfairly treated than men in the vast majority of companies. So an Activist Entrepreneur feminist principles as a core part of their operations. At the Hedonisia Community, we implemented policies and practices incorporating social justice, equality for women through our community business operations as described in our Eco-Feminist Community page.
- Environmental: An Activist Enterprise should try to reduce, reuse and recycle at every level it of its business practices. Not only is it good for the planet but it is also good for the bottom line! Our community derives most of it income through eco-tourism and we adopt environmental principles at every stage of our business operations.
- EcoSexual: So many societal problems stem from some aspect of sexual dysfunction. We take an EcoFeminist approach to sexuality with our emphasis on gender equality and by being a Consent Culture community.
Membership Benefits: Members have the ability to access information, training materials, activist enterprise news and can also ask questions regarding their own activist entrepreneur projects.
Hedonisia Virtual Community Membership Resources
Sign up as a Hedonisia Virtual Community Member. As part of your membership you receive access to the following online resources:
$9.95 for 2 years access. This is a one-time payment.