Fair-Trade Volunteer Program
Volunteer in Hawaii for an Affordable Eco-Friendly Vacation!
Ideal for those who wish to enjoy an affordable volunteer work experience while vacationing in Hawaii!
We accept volunteers on a basis of availability, work skills, friendliness, ease to live with, performance and their understanding and enthusiasm for the sustainable policies of Hedonisia Hawaii.
Volunteers have a great time, meet new friends and leave with satisfaction and enjoyment from living, learning and working in a Hawaiian Rainforest community.
Fair-Trade volunteers enjoy the following benefits:
- Community Living Educational Experience: At Hedonisia, we have developed policies and guidelines for sustainable communal living under our 'Community of Individuals' model.
- Tropical Food! Part of every volunteer's payment is an Agricultural Fee. This allows you to harvest any edible plants growing on our land and gives you access to the communal food pantry, which is usually stocked with donated food items from departing guests. Please note that our food gardens are only a supplement to dietary needs (about 10-15%). Be sure to have enough funds as each person is responsible for their own meals. However, you can cook with other community members in our beautiful Jungle Kitchen!
- Full Access to all Communal Areas: Enjoy the Haka Hou Mana Mana outdoor kitchen. Relax and unwind in our jungle shower; get acquainted with our famous Eco-Toilet! Volunteers also have access to our outdoor, sheltered community hang-out area and our indoor barn space, which is equipped with a beautiful sprung dance floor called the Candy Barn Yoga Space!
- 12 hours Volunteer Work per Week of Stay:
- Aloha Monday & Friday - 1.5 hours
- Tuesday - Thursday - 3 hours
- Saturday & Sunday - Work free!
Volunteer Work Types!
If accepted, you will be doing a variety of volunteer jobs. Most volunteers are usually here for only a week to a month so they usually do
However, while most of the time we do jungle cleaning and jungle weeding. we do try to match volunteers with the work they wish to do especially if they are skilled!
Explore the types of volunteer jobs you would like to be involved with as a Fair-Trade Volunteer:
Fair-Trade Volunteer Program Rates:
13.42% HI state tax included in ALL prices!
Each Additional Week
(bed in dorm space)
(two people in shared bed)
a) 1st-Week Volunteer Tryout: For short stays of one week or less, the Tryout is ideal. And for those who want to 'check us out', it gives enough time to get to know the community and see if it's a fit for you. It also gives us an opportunity to work with you and see how you fit into our 'community of individuals'!
b) 1st Day Off! When you arrive you have your first day off to get acclimatized to your new rain forest home in Hawaii. And then you start volunteering the day after!
c) Fixed Departure Date: Volunteers who send in a good application and have a fixed departure date may book a stay for a fixed period of up to one month, so that they are sure they have a space. However, if you (or us) are not sure then we usually recommend just reserving the 1st Week Tryout and then we can take it from there after you arrive.
f) Couples lodging spaces. For Couples who wish to volunteer we have Guava Hut, Rollinia House, Lono Hale, and Puka Hale which are private spaces that have full or queen beds. Ideal for volunteer couples in the rain forest!
g) Choosing a Space. Volunteers may stay in different lodging spaces during the course of their stay. We try not to move people around unnecessarily especially if they are happy and comfortable in a space. When a volunteer shows that they are hard working and adaptable we are more open to extending certain privileges like choosing their space if it is available.
h) Weekly & Monthly 'Volunteer Lite' Specials! Ideal for those who would also like as much tourist time as possible! Working only one Community Support Shift per week, you enjoy discounted lodgings for a longer stay!